Last year, we celebrated with my friend Krystal, with the celebration of welcoming her little girl into the world! Now we are celebrating Krystal's second baby! A Baby Boy!!
I feel like almost alllll of my friends are pregnant and am so excited to be celebrating virtually with Krystal! Hoping her little man will decide to stay put for the next week and then he can share birthdays with my sister!
With it still being spring, I wanted to make a lighter cupcake but I am really trying to steer away from cake mixes! This recipe I thought was odd because you melt the better with water but yet it turned out very good! The mascarpone filling was fabulous as well! I'm not much of an icing person and this cupcake had a thin glaze so not to overpower the cupcake in general.
Krystal, thank you for letting me celebrate this big day with you! I can't wait to meet your "cupcake"!!
A Big Thank you to Eva at Eva Bakes for hosting our Shower today!!!
Strawberry Mascarpone Filled Cupcakes
recipe adapted from this recipe at Bake-A-Holic, who originally adapted from this recipe at Food Network
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1(8-ounce) container mascarpone cheese, chilled
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries (fresh)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter and water in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil.
- In the bowl of your mixer, Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Pour butter and water into flour mixture with mixer on slow speed.
- Pour in muffin tin and bake for 13-15 min.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, In a food processor combine the mascarpone cheese, strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Process the mixture until smooth.
- Transfer the marcarpone mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- Push the tip gently into the bottom of a cupcake and squeeze in the strawberry mixture until the cupcake plumps.
- For the frosting: In a small saucepan make a vanilla syrup by bringing the 1/2 cup sugar, water, and vanilla extract to a simmer over medium heat.
- Boil until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl combine the vanilla syrup with the confectioner’s sugar.
- Stir until smooth.
- Working quickly, use a rubber spatula spread the icing on the top of the cupcakes.( If the icing begins to firm up, place in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up again.)