For many of us in the South, Cornbread is how we start out our dressing.
Yes, dressing. Not stuffing.
Dressing is outside of the bird. I have never in my life had a stuffed Turkey and probably never will. As the chef says, that is how many people get sick because the temperature of the stuffing never kills the bacteria.
The cornbread is actually a family recipe and comes from one of my great aunts. I can remember being a young bride (19!) and calling my grammie and asking for this recipe.
It's very simple and you just have to remember, 1. (This actually contains 1 of everything as my Grammie would say!)
recipe is a family recipe
1 cup of self rising corn meal (I can find this at Aldi!)
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of bacon grease (of course, if you don't have this Vegetable Oil can be substituted), plus 2 tablespoons for pan
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place 2 tbsp. of bacon grease into a 10 inch iron skillet.
3. Place iron skillet into oven and let bacon grease melt, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Mix together corn meal, milk, egg, and 1/4 cup bacon grease. Stir until well combined.
5. Place cornbread mixture into iron Skillet.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.