This month for Secret Recipe Club I had the blog Lavender and Lime. Tandy is the blogger behind this blog.
I must admit that I was very intimidated by her blog. All of her measurements were obviously in the metric system and anything that I wanted to make I literally studied it for a while to write out the recipe in US system of measuring.
Tandy really impressed me with the bread recipes that she has in her blog! I was really torn on whether to make this Apple Spice Bread (you can never have too many good recipes for a bread machine!) or this Salted Caramel Focaccia. Ultimately though, we had milk that needed to be used up so I ended up making Creme Caramel.
I must say that this was divine. My entire family loved it and that is hard to get around here!!
It is very hard to get approval from everyone!
recipe adapted from this recipe at Lavender and Lime
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean, split
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Caramel, of your choice*
* The caramel will need to be made first. I actually bought mine. Tandy has a caramel recipe on her blog but since I tend to burn things, I cheated and used Fleur de sel caramel from Trader Joe's.
- Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray.
- Add 2 tsp. of caramel to each ramekin.
- Place ramekins in a water bath.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan, add the milk and vanilla bean.
- Bring the milk to a slow boil.
- In a separate bowl, place the sugar,egg, and egg yolks. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is a pale yellow.
- Slowly add about 2 tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and beat well. (You want to be sure NOT to skip this step because you do not want scrambled eggs!)
- Slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture to the egg mixture.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Add the milk mixture to each ramekin.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for about 2 hours. (I found that mine actually did better with an overnight refrigeration!)