For this swap, DESSERTS, were our theme! I love sweets so this was something really fun!
Much like Jenna, I have never cooked with cherries. I love cherry flavored things but having to get a pit out of a fruit sometimes deters me from eating them! My sister and mom love cherries so when in season you can always find them in our refrigerator!
After tasting the cupcakes, I decided to make an almond flavor glaze versus a buttercream frosting. I'm more of a cake person and I think it highlighted the cupcake more!
I also didn't have a cherry pitter but cutting around the pit worked for me! I'm definitely of the Alton Brown school of thought with one use items in the kitchen :)
Fresh Cherry Cupcakesadapted from Jenna's Cooking Journey,who adapted from Baking Bites
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and finely chopped
Almond glaze, listed below**
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light.
- Blend in the egg, vanilla extract and almond extract until smooth.
- Working in two or three additions, gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with additions of buttermilk and ending with an addition of the flour mixture.
- Add in chopped cherries.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- **To make almond glaze, combine 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 2 tsp. water, 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Mix together until no longer lumpy. You should have a thick glaze to cover your cupcakes. Glaze cupcakes.