I LOVE BURGERS..... did you get that?!?!?
Yeah, I really love them.
You see. The official start of Summer is this weekend. Meaning, you need to go and make this burger.
I go through spurts on food where I will crave something for a long time until my taste buds are finally happy. After about 3 weeks of wanting a good burger, this burger quenched that thirst.
I'm not much of a coleslaw person either. But seriously, make it. It makes the burger. Nikki's original recipe also didn't call for grilled pineapple. That was my addition. Because I like pineapple on my burgers. And yes, you can call me weird if you want to!
Island Jerk Burgers with Zesty Lime Coleslaw
2 cups coleslaw mix
1/2 red onion, medium, sliced thin
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Zest and juice of 1 small lime
1 teaspoon honey
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1.5 pounds ground beef
4 teaspoons jerk seasoning
4 slices cheese (I used cheddar)
4 burger buns
For the coleslaw:
- Combine the coleslaw mix and red onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, hot sauce, lime zest and juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss it into the coleslaw mixture to coat.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to 24 hours.
For the burger:
- Heat up your grill.
- Shape the beef into 4 individual patties. Rub each patty with the jerk seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Grill the burgers until cooked to desired doneness, flipping once.
- Place a piece of cheese on each burger.
- Lightly toast the buns on the grill.
- While toasting, the buns grill the pineapple. Flipping Once.
- Assemble burgers on top of the cheese and topped with a pile of coleslaw.