Yes, I feel like I can officially say Happy Monday! We've been in Tennessee for one year now and I can honestly say that the job I have now been at for 3 weeks is MY job! I love my new job and I love that I can be closer to Cole and I don't have to drive to Chattanooga every.single.day.
Plus with him starting Preschool soon, I wanted to be closer to him and I am working for a company that I already knew about and love that I am working for them know! When I got my offer letter from them, I almost thought all of it was too good to be true but once I had my training and am now working,
I can see that it isn't!
Anyway... back to the dessert...
Baklava is one of my favorite things. I saw this simple and fun recipe in Food Network Magazine a few months ago and made it quickly thereafter.
These tartlets are super simple because they start out with a pre-made phyllo pastry shell. The original recipe also calls for pistachios but I went with walnut because I like walnuts better! These would be a great treat to your Memorial Day picnic because they won't melt and are super simple to make!
recipe adapted from this recipe from Food Network
5 tbsp. butter
15 mini phyllo shells
1/4 chopped walnuts
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. allspice
Pinch of salt
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place 15 mini phyllo shells on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees until just golden, about ten minutes.
- Add chopped walnuts, honey, and sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, allspice and a pinch of salt to the butter in the skillet; cook, stirring until thick, 5 minutes.
- Divide among the phyllo shells and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
- Let cool.