After a month off in January, the Secret Recipe Club is back!!
This month I Kristy from Darn Near Domestic. Kristy is the mother of two and has a great blog that is full of home, cooking, and fashion ideas!
I loved looking through all of her recipes! She has so many great dinner options!
I chose this Southwestern Casserole because a) it's winter and b) comfort food= casserole for me.
My husband is the complete opposite about casseroles but he will eat what I make because he loves me :). I love that is super quick to put together and get into the oven and it doesn't use any cream of whatever soups. While I don't have an aversion to those soups, I know that many people do.
I think the next thing I'm going to try from Kristy's blog is this loaded potato casserole so be sure to check out her blog for great food ideas!!
recipe adapted from Darn Near Domestic
1 4 ounce can of diced green chiles, drained
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp of salt AND pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of roasted diced tomatoes , 14 oz.
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can of refried beans , 14 oz.
1 1/2 cups of medium cheddar, shredded
Sour cream (optional)
Fresh salsa (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the green chiles in a single layer on the bottom of baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion, ground turkey, and seasonings. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often to break up the meat.
- Add the minced garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the meat mixture on top of the green chiles; next add the corn.
- Carefully spread the refried beans on top of the corn followed by the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.