So I am attempting to get out of my normal element in regards to strawberries. Up until this year, I didn't ever stray from normal, ripe, red strawberries and enjoying them with some sugar and maybe some whipped cream or cake or both. In fact, I'm not even a fan of strawberry ice cream.
When I first saw this recipe on the Curvy Carrot, I was excited to see what it would be like because the flavors sounded amazing and I really like the combination of strawberries and balsamic vinegar.
We actually made this the night that we got a gallon of strawberries and were very happy with the results. If you need a quick summer appetizer (that won't heat up your house!), look no further!
recipe adapted from this recipe on The Curvy Carrot
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 French baguette, sliced on a bias
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; toss to combine. Allow the strawberries to set for about 30 minutes (so that they begin to release their juices).
2. Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on top of each baguette slice. Top each baguette slice with the strawberry mixture.
3. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. Top each slice with the basil leaves and cracked pepper, to taste.
This is linked to I'm Lovin it at Tidy Mom